Hi everyone!
I finally decided to do a blog. That way everyone who cares can check up on me and get updates of my year in Germany. I'm really really excited to be going to Germany on this amazing scholarship. It's such a blessing and a wonderful opportunity to have been chosen as one of 250 American high school students to spend a year in Germany on an all-expense-paid-for scholarship. If you want more info about this scholarship, visit http://www.usagermanyscholarship.org.
Here's how it all started:
I was really interested in doing a year abroad, whether it was in high school or college. I just thought that being a exchange student would be a neat experience, a chance to explore the world and broaden my horizons. I had no preference of where I wanted to go, or no idea of what I should expect. So, I did some research on the internet about various organizations for exchange students. I soon began to see how expensive it was to spend a year abroad, and I didn't think it would work out. Amazingly, I just happened to stumble upon this CBYX scholarship on a random online scholarship search. As I read more about it, I got more and more excited - A scholarship (jointly funded by Congress and Bundestag) to spend a year with a host family and attend a German high school.
So after spending lots of time convincing my parents, I began the long application process in October 2007. However, since it was my senior year, I was also applying for colleges. I was more focused on the college applications because I honestly thought that I wouldn't get the CBYX scholarship. However, even with my doubts, I finished the application and sent it in, a few days before the deadline. Then life went on, and I made my plans for going to college...
...until
"January 24, 2008I was sooo excited! I could hardly believe the words in this email. The next week I received another email giving me the date and time of my phone interview. It also had a few tips of things I could prepare before my interview.
Dear Congress-Bundestag Scholarship Applicant,
Congratulations! It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been selected as a semi-finalist in the 2008-2009 Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program. The next step in the selections process is for you to be interviewed via phone by your selection committee..."
Finally that day came, February 4, 2008. Thank goodness I was ready early, because they called 15 minutes before the scheduled time. They asked me lots and lots of questions. Why was I so motivated about the CBYX program? How would I handle academic failures? What one thing would I take with me to Germany? What things I'm proud of and ashamed of in America? How would I react if someone confronted me about Americans? Lots of questions like that and a few others.. and then the killer last question: "Why should we choose you for the scholarship?"
I feel that I did a very good job in answering honestly and confidently. And I definitely had fun coming up with creative and truthful answers during that interview. I was also surprised that I didn't get as nervous as I expected I would.
Well, my hopes had risen; I began to think that I might possibly get this scholarship, even though there were a coupe hundred semi-finalists...
Then came more waiting....
until......
"March 14, 2008I was so happy. I was literally jumping up and down. I seriously couldn't believe it! Even though I had received many scholarships from the colleges I had applied for (and none of them could be deferred), it was easy turning those down for this amazing scholarship. It was all going to work out... a gap year (between my high school and college) spent in Germany having awesome experiences!
Re: Application to Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange Program 2008-2009
Dear Allegra Bel,
On behalf of the AYUSA International CBYX selection committee, it is my pleasure to announce that you have been selected as a finalist for the CBYX program. This program attracts extraordinarily qualified and gifted applicants; the selection process is rigorous and highly competitive. Your selection is recognition of both your academic and extracurricular accomplishments and your potential for success in the program.
[I omitted a bunch of info about the Secondary Application that I have to fill out so I can be placed with a German Host Family]
Your decision to become a CBYX scholarship recipient is not one to make without deep consideration. This program, dually sponsored by the United States Department of State and the German Congress demands, flexibility, an open mind, and above all the commitment to a 10 month program which focuses on expanding your global awareness to all elements of the German culture (social, political, and economic) in addition to becoming fluent in the German language, and making lifelong connections.
If you are willing to commit to this, the Selection Committee wishes to add our personal congratulations to those of your family and friends."
1 comments:
Hi. This is Lucky the Lab, your favorite dog. It finally hit me that you have gone to Germany and I won't see you for almost a year. So I thought I would start my own blog to let you know how I'm dealing with this traumatic situation of you being gone: http://luckythelab.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment