Okay, now the huge update on my harp life.
Before I came to Germany, I was very worried about how I would be able to continue my harp studies during my time in Germany. I looked into the option of shipping my harp to Germany, but it was too expensive and risky. Then I looked into renting a harp in Germany, but I didn't find much because I didn't know where to look or how to contact people, especially because of my lacking German language skills. So I came to Germany with only hopes of being able to get a hold of a harp...
Then my wonderful host parents searched around for a harp for me. They contacted different harp stores in Germany and a music school in Bonn. Then while in Nürnberg on October 4th-6th, visiting my host family's relatives, I got a small harp! Yay!
The following is from my journal:
"So the harp isn't exactly what I was hoping for, but it was definitely better than no harp at all. It's a lever harp (35 strings) from a harp store, Glissando, in a small town 20 minutes away from where we were staying in Nürnberg.
This place had so many harps. I've never seen that many harps in one building all at once (I'm guessing there were between 50-70 harps there). It was awesome.
So anyway, Dieter drove me there first thing Saturday morning, so we could look and find out if there was any option of renting a pedal harp. Actually the lady who was helping us was very willing to rent me a pedal harp, but she would only do it if I paid 20% of the purchase price, which was anywhere from 4000-8000 Euros. So ugh, that pretty much made it impossible (okay more unrealistic than impossible). The lady then suggested that I just go with a lever harp. (I really didn't want to do this, because I'm planning on continuing harp in university, and I need a pedal harp to be at the university level for harpists.) She told me how there are so many songs I canplay on lever harp and still advance my level. She also pointed out the reality of prices...and a bunch of other things that I've already been weighing out. Also I can return this lever harp anytime I want (esp. if I find a pedal harp)....so it seemed like a win-win situation.
So since everything just felt right, I went for it."
So more about this first rental harp (yep I say first... just wait until I tell you about the next). It is really pretty, even if it is plain. It's made out of this really cool African wood. It also has an amazing sound for being so small, and with a straight soundboard. I don't like the bass that much, but the middle and upper range are very Celtic sounding...
So I was pretty satisfied with this harp. I was so happy to have my fingers back on a harp---something I didn't have for 3 months! However, my host mom felt like I really needed a pedal harp. She literally spent hours and hours for two weeks on the phone and internet, contacting every source she could. She went from harp stores to music schools to harp teachers and other harpists....and just anywhere that would have a possibility of renting a pedal harp. She found places in Berlin that would rent me a pedal harp for 200-300 Euros a month, but that was still really expensive for me. She also looked into the different insurances for pedal harp, whether it was better to pay more for house insurance, or buy specific harp insurance. Sheesh, she is amazing, and did everything. So, after lots and lots time spent with phone calls, a harp teacher gave Heidi the phone number of a French family living in Bonn.
And this family had a daughter who plays harp. She is currently studying at a university in France, and is unable to take her harp with her. So her harp was just sitting in her house being neglected. She was more than willing to rent the harp out because really wanted the harp to be in good hands--- where it would be played often, instead of collecting dust at her house.
So on November 2nd, I had a huge, beautiful pedal harp sitting in my room. It was very crowded in my small room with two harps, but I didn't care. (The lever harp has since then been returned to Nürnberg.)
This harp is simply amazing. It's a Camac Athena, which is the same harp maker as my harp. However, this harp is a full size concert harp, making it bigger than my harp which is a semi-grand. Seriously this harp is a foot taller than me. I love it!
Oh and then - also there is an elderly harpist, who is well-known in Germany, and she wants to hear me play harp. If I'm talented enough, she will give me free lessons. So in the next few weeks, I'll be playing for her. (NO pressure!)
Anyway, it's so amazing how things have worked out with being able to continue harp. I could have been satisfied with the little lever harp, but no, things just get better and better. :D
0 comments:
Post a Comment